In 2013 my main goals were to pass roller derby freshmeat and skate with Dead End Derby, and to travel with Stephen. Achievement unlocked.
The themes for 2014 will be skating, hockey and travel. This year I want to:
– pass my yearly roller derby skills test, including completing 27 laps in 5 minutes
– be good enough to be selected for the Living Dead Rollers roller derby travel team
– improve my ice hockey skills: run with the puck more, work on passing and shooting at goal. A goal would be a lovely bonus
– finish the roller rink and have a launch party
– travel: to the West Coast and Sydney/Vanuatu in March, Tekapo in June/July, Kaikoura in November at the very least
And less specifically, I will schedule my time less so I have more downtime. I will not take on any new big projects this year – I have plenty of project ideas bubbling away, but I won’t move them forward this year.
This means I will need to say ‘no’ more often. I struggle with saying no, and I’ve been contemplating why this is. I feel like I missed out on a lot of things in my younger years. Having children in my teens closed a lot of doors for me. Now my children have grown up, there are all these doors that I can peak through and I don’t want to leave any of them unopened!
So this year, I intend to do lots of interesting things, but my attention will be more targeted on a few things that I really enjoy – skating, hockey and travel. These are things that I can do with my family and friends, they keep me fit, make me happy, and keep my brain engaged.
I’m picking that 2014 will be a good one.