I’m on Week 10 of a 12-week commuting stint in Auckland. I fly up on Wednesday morning and back home on Thursday night. I pick up a car at Auckland Airport and travel to my Auckland office in New Lynn.
I’ve really enjoyed it. The people I’m working with are lovely, the work is challenging and interesting, and it’s kinda fun to be in Auckland two days a week. It’s been really nice to see Gerard, Fleur, Iris, Esther and George regularly. I found a hotel just up the road from them, so I can pop in for a visit after gym / dinner on Wednesday to say hi. I’m looking forward to seeing my sister when I’m up next week.
I like that the people at the car rental place, the hotel and the gym (Les Mills is across the road from my Auckland office, yuss!) all know me by name. I’m now in a regular flow that almost feels normal.
The only downside is that it is disruptive to my home life – nights at home on the couch = 0. At the moment, my week consists of:
- Monday night – gym and hockey
- Tuesday night – gym and committee meetings (yes I have one pretty much every week, ugh!)
- Wednesday night – away (still get to the gym, win!)
- Thursday night – usually return home about 9pm
- Friday night – hockey and club night
- Saturday night – sometimes this is couch night (ahhhhhhh), unless there is hockey (wahooo!)
- Sunday night – derby
And I usually squeeze a Friday and Saturday day gym session in there, as well as derby Freshmeat training on Saturday afternoon, coaching Wyatt and Arlia’s hockey (8am Sunday, OMG!), and Saturday lunch time Learn to Play Hockey sessions. That’s not to mention that it’s NZIHL season, so there are hockey games Saturday and Sunday once a month.
It’s not really a sustainable level of activity, but it’s fun at the moment!